Sunday, March 21, 2010

What's Your Distraction?

On Friday night, I had the opportunity to go to see a band I had been wanting to see, The Civil Wars. The opening singer, was a guy I had never heard before, Duquette Johnson. First note he sang, and I was hooked. He has a pure voice, which made me think of Damien Rice almost immediately.



His songs were so well written. I am a sucker for a well turned phrase, and his music was full of amazing word combinations. I loved the fact that nothing in his music sounded the same as any of his other songs, nor did he mimic anyone else's songs. Each word seemed to be specifically picked and I was entranced. I cannot wait to hear him again, and to buy his CD.



There was one phrase that stuck out to me, however. In his song, "Rubies are Pure," he sang about people who were "begging distraction."



Begging distraction.....



What an amazing commentary on the human spirit. What person isn't begging for a distraction?



We go to work, and we comment to our coworkers, that we cannot wait till we get to go home. We want to take our minds off of work. We go home and we search for something to take our minds off of whatever we are doing there. We hang out on Facebook, we watch TV, we play the Wii, or whatever game system we own, we go to concerts, we make vacation plans, we *insert what you do here*



Begging distraction. We are always searching for that thing to take our minds off of things.



I think Duquette hit the nail on the head there.

No comments:

Post a Comment